INFO: I updated the article where I compare "pixel size" and the effect it has on 15 cameras. I added new test photos and info...

Sep 11, 2023

Top Intel iMacs for Photographers...

Last updated:- 15th September 2023

The kind of iMac and processing power you need are regulated by the software applications plus AI features you have. See this article and my Workspace Update Page (firmware) discussing why I upgraded my iMac. Being in the market for a new PC, I quickly realized I needed more time to find the right photography solution. It's impossible to configure a good photography solution with the technical and advertising information from Apple. I used this website as a technical reference. 




Apple upgraded their iMacs in 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019 and onwards. After much research, I decided to look for an Intel 4-Core i7 (4.2GHz), 5K display 27", 64GB (2666MHz DDR4) RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 580 Graphics (8GB), an SSD hard drive, and similar ports as my old iMac. I learned how secondhand iMacs are the best way to find a photography configuration for under $900.

Higher rating i5 or i7 Processors with 4GB and higher graphic cards are enough for most photography applications. It was expensive to increase the RAM memory when these iMacs were new. For example, users could add more RAM memory on pre-2017 models after receiving the iMac. These RAM modules are now available at a fraction of the original Apple pricing.



Used iMacs are great business opportunities for those trading in secondhand computers, and patience is the best advice for those purchasing a used iMac. The safest option is to work with official Apple dealers or target the owners directly. Apple has excellent info on its support site. For example, what should one verify when buying a used iMac? I created a list of questions I asked before making an offer. This made it possible to cancel if I found any issues while collecting a used iMac.

What about 4K video editing and converting large numbers of RAW files? Each photographer needs to be specific on what they need. For example, you don't need 4K editing if you are new to video. As high as 95% of homemade videos are perfectly good at 1080P. My "new" iMac edits and renders 4K videos. Processing 4K videos versus 1080p means significant performance increases. 4K videos also use 4 times the pixels as 1080p recordings, and most viewers won't spot the difference...

Buying a secondhand iMac was a process of making compromises. For example, the 2020 Intel i9 Pro iMac is great if you are ready for the expense, whereas the costs decrease on older iMacs, while the risk of a burned-in display increases. These older Intel iMacs are excellent PCs and perfect for those on a budget. The key is preparation and patience when buying or collecting a used iMac.



Any of the above examples are excellent photography solutions, and the i5 iMacs with 4GB graphic cards are great photography alternatives. For example, the 2015/17 (i5/i7) iMacs with 4GB or 8GB graphic cards became my Performance/Cost favorites. Study the i5 details right above the i7 line on this website. This site has more technical information to help you specify your used iMac.

Conclusion

Why not a 24" iMac with an M1 or M2 Apple Processor? I bought the 2017 Intel iMac (above spec), which consistently outperforms my Macbook Pro M1 with 16GB RAM. I photograph almost every day in the summer, and I have been editing my Enhanced Raw Files on my Intel iMac and Macbook M1 Pro. Interestingly, the older i7 Processor outperforms the M1 Processor with Workspace, Photoshop CC, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, PhotoLab 6, and the different office applications I have...

The 27" display is also fantastic for video or photo editing. I often process the same images on my iMac and Macbook Pro. The MacBook Pro cannot compete with the larger display of the iMac. My wife tried my 27" iMac 2013 but preferred her 2012 Mac Mini with the 24" Apple Cinema Display. The final PC configuration you select should work for YOU...

What about Workspace? I am satisfied because the "new" iMac made a huge difference. Workspace, Photoshop, and Photolab are quick, and I experienced no negatives. My only concern is the high level of access some applications request during the installation. Fortunately, it's possible to manage the level of access these software applications receive. It pays to carefully configure your iMac...

Don't let promoters confuse you to spend way too much...

Best

Siegfried

No comments:

VideoPic Blog Comments

Please add any comments to this article here.

Most read Articles