INFO: I updated the article where I compare "pixel size" and the effect it has on 15 cameras. I added new test photos and info...

Mar 22, 2023

The worst review of the Fuji X-H2 Hybrid Camera

Last update:- 24th March 2023

Introduction

Accuse me of overreacting at a difficult time for the DPReview staff, but I simply cannot support the technical views of DPReview. They announced their "In-Depth" review of the Fuji X-H2 hybrid camera. Ignoring the typical DPR irritations like "capturing less light" or "having more noise," I stopped reading the review at the part about Dynamic Range (DR).



I decided to focus on the highlighted phrases, even though it's possible to pull everything apart in the following example. The "size and capture" theory claims bigger sensors capture more light with less noise, more IQ, and more DR. ISO invariance is like the "size and capture" theory, designed to distract photographers from the fact that Pixels capture photonsThe "read noise" Richard Butler is referring to is, per definition, the sensor's native noise floor with no shot noise present.


The paragraph on Dynamic Range


                                                                     Source: www.dpreview.com

The "size and capture" theory


                                                                                     Source: www.dpreview.com


Let's study what Fuji published about the new 40MP BSI sensor.

Please read the dedicated Fuji web pages for the X-H2 and the new 40MP BSI CMOS sensor. Nowhere does Fuji say the X-H2 has a Dual Gain sensor or almost no read noise. The challenge with more megapixels is the individual pixel areas decrease. This negatively impacts the sensor's sensitivity or ability to capture shadow details. More megapixels also means control wiring for each of the 14 million new pixels. Each electronic component adds more noise to the sensor's noise floor. Each digital photographer should be able to discuss what Fuji did to manage this challenge?

Fuji says the following about the new 40MP sensor:

  • They have a new Enhanced Image-Processing algorithm + new Image Processor
  • They managed to keep the "Signal to Noise" Ratio the same. (Same as the XT4?)
  • An updated pixel structure (40MP sensor) improved the sensitivity of the pixels

The new Image-Processing Algorithm replaced some of the wired control functions. This means the total number of control circuits (components) in the X-H2 sensor is similar to the X-T4. Fuji also confirmed the SNR of the new 40MP sensor is the same as the Fuji X-T4. They designed a new 40MP sensor without the disadvantages associated with having more pixels.

The Photons to Electrons graph (below) should be identical for the 26MP and 40MP sensors.


Study this illustration for more on dynamic range and the sensor's noise floor.


The new standard ISO of 125 means the new pixel structure improved the 40MP sensor's optical and quantum efficiency (sensitivity). Every sensor's native ISO is set at max sensor saturation and the Average Efficiency Curve's highest point. This is why we have a lower DR at extended and higher ISOs. My X-T5 constantly surprises me with its ability to record excellent low-light details.



Conclusion


Study my article with 7 points explaining digital cameras. Each photographer should have this kind of knowledge. Digital photographers should be able to summarise any camera's characteristics from the information on manufacturers' websites and press releases.

I decided not to discuss the parts reviewing the X-H2's autofocus. If Butler felt it was important enough to say things like "Fuji is playing catch-up," give us examples. Dropping wild fact statements, like we saw with the OM-1, is NOT good enough. Reviewers, unfortunately, like to generalize and will apply the focussing requirements of one or two examples to all applications.

Here is a better example of discussing one application of the camera's autofocus.



Readers say we shouldn't criticize while Amazon is closing DPReview. Should we also ignore the "size and capture" theory and dumbing down of photographers? In a segment filled with half-truths and false information, Butler says "ISO Invariance" measures the flexibility of RAW files. He also says the X-H2 has almost no read noise. No explanations, mostly unsupported claims. What if image quality (tonal data) is a function of the exposure (SNR to ISO ratio) and the focus points we select? What if photographers determine the final Saturation and SNR of the sensor? What do YOU think?


Do you believe these unsupported claims by DPR...?

Fuji did a great job of presenting the theoretically correct info for its cameras. For example, dismiss reviewers discussing the Fuji X-H2 for high-speed (sports) or bird-in-flight (BIF) applications. Stacked BSI sensors are specifically designed for speed. The high readout speed of the X-H2S is perfect for these applications. Any photographer with a theoretical interest in digital cameras will find enough information from Fuji's website to make informed decisions. Did you know the OM-1 has a stacked sensor with a readout speed of 8ms and competes with some of the most expensive cameras?


Closing DPR could have marked the start of more accurate information.


See this informative video discussing the readout speed of different cameras.

Any comments...

Siegfried


The new Fuji 40MP BSI Sensor

Fuji X-T5 with 27mm f2.8 lens - ISO400, f5.6, 1/19000 - Out of the camera JPEG file.


This is one of my first images with the X-T5. You will see the DOF is not optimum at f5.6. I am used to selecting f5.6 for my Olympus cameras. I get good results with the correct focus points and apertures from f5.6 to f7.1. My Fuji X-T5 achieves similar results between f7.1 and f8.

What do I think of the X-T5 after 3 months? I really enjoy this camera. It's an excellent upgrade for the EM1 MKIII. Do I need an upgrade at this stage? It will work if I sell most of my Olympus gear and expand a little on the X-T5. I would keep my Pen F with 3 or 4 of my favorite compact lenses. If I consider the computational features of Olympus and the basic concept of, what is enough, I could also sell my Fuji gear and continue enjoying my EM1 III and the Pen F.

I am planning an article to discuss the X-T5 and my EM1 III...


Fuji X-T5 with 35mm f1_4 lens - Raw file edited with PhotoLab 6. High-Quality option for Noise Reduction.

5 comments:

Malak said...

As below if you want to compare read moise.

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_ADU.htm

I gather the E-M5 has less read noise than the XH2 - smaller sensor more efficient you know

Closing DP review wouldnt start an exciting time in photography - it may however help people stop obsessing about sensor size, noise and continuously doubting their choices - to me the only difference between Nikon x, y and z is how it feels in my hands provided it was produced after 2005 - yes I am talking a Nikon D200 for example - its more than enough.

VideoPic said...

Hi Malak

I don't trust the info from photons to photos. The site has no access to manufacturers' data and they use too many calculated variables. Most important, the graphs are meaningless as they do not help me to improve my photography. They only serve promoter arguments...

The EM5 is older. Chances are the pixel control wiring has more components per pixel. This increases the EM5 noise floor. The EM5 pixel area is larger than the XH2 which means better optical efficiency. The XH2 quantum efficiency will be better than the EM5. The sensitivity of these two sensors might be very similar...

Read the article from Peta Pixel about the closing of DPR. DPR couldn't fill a senior technical position for months and months. I can only imagine no technical person would risk future employment with association with the size and capture theory...

I agree with the obsessing and doubting choices. I was thinking of doing a full article on DPR but decided not to waste energy...

Best and thank you for your input...

Siegfried

VideoPic said...

Malak

Like you I have much fun with older cameras.

Why 2005?

Siegfried

Malak said...

Why 2005?
Because it was when my D200 was produced and its still in use ;-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89090570@N02/52773042586/in/dateposted/

Not sure who has access to manufacturers data. photons to photos data are experimental and explained on their site. what the data shows is in line with what you mentioned - the EM5 has less read noise

VideoPic said...

I studied the information at photons to photos. I kept reading papers and more information until I was ready with workable theoretical model photographers can use to improve their knowledge and results. Photons to photos is just not one of my trusted sources...

The D200 are old :-) Reminds me of the 350D, the 30D, the D70, and probably the 40D. All great cameras.

Have fun

Siegfried

VideoPic Blog Comments

Please add any comments to this article here.

Most read Articles