INFO: I updated the article where I compare "pixel size" and the effect it has on 15 cameras. I added new test photos and info...

Mar 16, 2023

My new ON-1 Editing Software

Last updated:- 22nd March 2023

I canceled my subscription in January 2023 after years of using Photoshop. As expected, this was much easier said than done. I had a few months left on my annual subscription and kept a copy on my desktop PC. I did not want another subscription and decided to replace Photoshop with the latest (2023) version of ON-1. While it's not difficult to edit with ON-1, the real challenge is some of the illustrations I created in Photoshop and how to replicate them with ON-1.

Folks, I am working on the final summary of my previous article. A few more details and my "new" Fuji F600EXR distracted me. You are probably thinking, why a 2010 camera for $35? The reason is the Fuji F600EXR came with a unique sensor and features. In fact, the F600EXR is the perfect example of needing the ability to evaluate the technical aspects of different cameras.

My previous article reviewed one of three critical aspects of digital cameras. Photographers should always consider the following when buying a new camera:

  1. The optical differences - These differences exist and are important
  2. The technical differences - My previous article covers this in detail
  3. Editing Software - See the different examples I discussed in the past
I received the Fuji this week and tried some of its features. Please study the F600EXR specification to fully appreciate my curiosity about this camera. Also, see the image I took with the F600EXR. The first image is the jpeg from the camera, and the second is the raw copy edited with ON-1.


This is the OOC jpeg image. (View these images on a large screen)

There is so much we can say about these 2 images. For example, this is one of the latest iterations of ON-1 with powerful AI features. The control it allows over these AI adjustments when working with highlight and shadow details is something I haven't seen before. That said, the image information was available, which points to the Fuji and the BSI sensor. I did not expect this level of sensitivity or shadow detail from the tiny F600EXR pixel areas. For example, the OM-1 pixel area is 481% larger than the F600EXR. That begs the question, when is the effective pixel area too little? See my previous article for the difference between available and effective pixel areas.

There is so much more we can say about this interesting little camera. Study my previous article for how to evaluate digital cameras, and then consider this question. You are getting a chance to buy the Olympus XZ-2 or the Fuji F600EXR in mint condition. Which one would you buy and why?


This is the RAW file I converted in ON-1. (AI functions in the 2023 version)


The F600EXR is a compact camera with a 16MP BSI sensor. The "EXR" Processor came with features in 2010 that are now normal for Fuji cameras. For example, the F600EXR has 4 of the well-known Fuji film simulations. Another of these special EXR features reconfigures the camera to 8MP for better low-light performance. This also includes IBIS, high resolution, and high dynamic range modes.

We can access 7 of the Fuji Film Simulations with ON-1. They are only available for Fuji cameras. ON-1 does not offer the same option for the Picture Modes from Olympus. Like other raw converters, DxO included the picture modes from Olympus in PhotoLab...

The information in my articles enables photographers to evaluate the technical aspects of digital cameras like the F600EXR. Considering X-T5 and EM1 III use different sensor types and the 21% larger pixel area of the EM1 III, what is the best way to discuss them? This is another example of spreading false information when reviewers claim the XT-5 is better because it has a bigger sensor. It's always better to enable photographers with theoretically accurate information...

Any thoughts...

Siegfried

No comments:

VideoPic Blog Comments

Please add any comments to this article here.

Most read Articles