INFO: I updated the article where I compare "pixel size" and the effect it has on 15 cameras. I added new test photos and info...

Apr 25, 2020

Photoshop, PhotoLab, Luminar & WorkSpace

Last Update: 28th Nov 2020

Most photographers are familiar with Photoshop, PhotoLab 3, Luminar 4, and WorkSpace. Others use image editors like Lightroom, ON1, Capture One, or Topaz. In 2005, when I bought my first digital camera, I learned all about image editing with Photoshop Elements 2 and Paint Shop Pro.

With this article, we will take a quick look at Photoshop CC, PhotoLab 3, WorkSpace, and Luminar 4. We discuss some of the strengths and weaknesses of these editors and how they complement each other when used together in post-processing.


Olympus XZ-1 - edited with PhotoLab 3 and Luminar 4 (Sky was replaced with Luminar)


When evaluating different cameras, it is always important to rate them on how edit-friendly each camera's images are. You probably think, why do that? Some brands are just more flexible during post-processing. For example, Panasonic is known for its sharp images. That said, older Panasonics had color issues with especially skin tones, greens, and blue skies. It was difficult to correct these colors. More recent models like the GH4, GH5, and the G9 is much better.

In terms of color and image editing, my favorite brands were always Olympus and Canon. The flexibility these brands have is just great. When Olympus launched the original EM5, it felt as if the dynamic range never stopped, especially when compared to the older EP3 or the Canon 700D, which I used at the time.

Paging through my EM5 image collection and studying the images, I was happy I always selected jpeg + raw files. If you ever wondered about raw files, my advice is to start as soon as you can. The reason simply is, raw editors continue to improve every year...

Olympus EM5 w 12mm f2 Jpeg file,  ISO200, f5.6, 1/1000 (No editing - as-is from the camera)


The above image is not really great but interesting in terms of post-processing. The reason is the sky was not clear and the position of the sun not good. My camera default profile settings were set to neutral. The best would have been to take the image in the early morning or late afternoon. The reason for selecting this image was, I wanted to push it a little and study how it reacts with the different image editors. See the descriptions below each image for more information on how I edited them.


The raw file - edited with WorkSpace


Raw file - edited with DXO PhotoLab 3


Raw file - edited with Photoshop CC


Raw file - edited with Luminar 4


The above images were all taken in Lucerne, Switzerland. As you have seen in the descriptions I edited the same raw file with different image editors. If you spend enough time editing the different images, it is possible to get them to look the same. The approach will be different for each editor, but with a little patience, you will see the results you looking for.

Having said that, working with the different image editors, you also learn the strengths and weaknesses of each of these image/raw editors. If you prefer more creative freedom I think Luminar is currently the most exciting option. On the other hand, PhotoLab 3 is very true and capable, especially when combined with DXO filters like FilmPack 5 or the Nik Pro collection.

Raw file - edited with PS then opened in Luminar as a filter - EM5 w 12mm f2.0 - ISO200, F6.7, 1/1000


That said, you should not underestimate Photoshop. It does everything these different editors specialize in. The main plus something like PhotoLab 3 or Luminar 4 offer, is the low cost, ease of use, and the fun factor. I also like how DXO does its lab tests, to measure camera, and lens data. They then use this data to improve the results from PhotoLab and Filmpack. This is especially interesting for Olympus.

Olympus XZ-1, ISO100, f2.8, 1/800 (jpeg)


The above image was taken in 2012 when my wife and I visited Paris. You will see this is again not a great image because I did all the mistakes one should avoid making. For example, I pointed the camera to the sky, and the camera then exposed for the clouds. The street-level was underexposed with increased shadow noise. The little Olympus XZ-1 is way more capable when exposed correctly. 

You will see from the other examples below, I again used different editing styles with these images. Some I edited like I did with the above examples and the final image, I opened the raw file in PhotoLab, then transferred the result to Photoshop. From Photoshop I used Luminar as a filter to replace the sky. This enabled me to apply and combine the unique strengths of each editor in one editing session.

Olympus XZ-1 - raw file edited in PhotoLab 3


Below you see the different image editors I used and the order in which I spend time with each:-

  1. Photoshop CC (My main creative and complete image editor plus raw converter)
  2. DxO PhotoLab 3 (Probably the best raw editor, especially for Olympus)
  3. Olympus WorkSpace (Excellent raw and basic jpeg editor, free for Olympus owners)
  4. Luminar 4 (The AI functions are truly amazing plus layers make it a more complete editor)

I also use Aurora and DxO FilmPack 5. Years back I started with Adobe Photoshop Elements and through the years I kept an updated copy of Elements. If Adobe added curves to Elements, I would cancel my subscription and only used Elements.

Olympus XZ-1 - raw file edited in WorkSpace


When you click on the above image it will open in the web viewer. Scrolling through the different images you will see the image cropping and keystone results are different for each editor. No real reason other than I should have done a little more effort with each.

My typical raw file editing sequence looks something like this:-

  1. In some cases, I open and edit in WorkSpace, then export to PS
  2. More difficult scenes with image noise I edit in DXO PhotoLab 3 then export to PS
  3. In most cases, I start with the raw file in PS and also complete it in PS

I prefer to have Luminar 4 and FilmPack 5 as Photoshop filters. I seldom work with Luminar 4 in standalone mode. The reason is the included image organizer. This is also the reason I do not use Lightroom... It will be so much better if Luminar and Adobe gave us the option to stop/cancel the organizer. I have a great system that works well for me and never saw the benefits of changing.

XZ-1 - edited in PhotoLab, Photoshop & Luminar 4


Different editing styles will apply to different applications. When editing for prints I am much more conservative and I will focus on colors and details aimed at printing. Editing for the web is different and more fun or experimental.

Taken with the Olympus EM5 with 14-150mm lens - ISO200, f9, 1/400 (Edited and prepared in Photoshop)


Photoshop is by far the best tool to prepare and edit panoramas. The above image consisted of 6 raw files. Photoshop compiled the final panorama in raw and I was able to do my normal raw routine with Photoshop. Interesting with Photoshop is the Content-Aware tool and how it fills in the edges in the final panorama.

Above image edited in Luminar as Photoshop filter, changed the sky, and applied various AI settings


The above panorama and the next 3 images were all taken in Miami. Using Luminar, I replaced the sky in the panorama. The sky replacement was not perfect because the replacement sky was sized for a single image and not a 6 part panorama. The raw post-processing with the next 3 images started in PhotoLab 3, then exported to Photoshop. From Photoshop I used Luminar 4 as a filter to edited any special effects.

Olympus EM5 w 14-50mm, ISO200, f7.2, 1/640 (PhotoLab 3 plus Photoshop plus Luminar - no sky replacement)


Olympus EM5 w 14-150mm, ISO200, f6.3, 1/800 (PhotoLab 3 plus Photoshop plus Luminar - no sky replacement)


Taken with the EM5, raw file edited - I let you guess what was done with this image...


The next two images were taken in Germany in a lovely village close to Frankfurt. You can literally spend weeks in this village and create many masterpieces...

Olympus EM5 with 14mm f2.5 - ISO800, f3.5, 1/60 (Raw edited in PhotoLab 3 and completed in Photoshop)


The same image edited in Luminar - sky replacement, added glow, and a few other AI adjustments


The next two images were taken in 2007 when I visited Nürnberg. The images were taken with the G7 and the E410. The E410 was in raw format and the G7 in jpeg format. When comparing these results with those I edited in 2007, the difference is day and night. One can literally spend hours going back a few years and re-process raw files...

Olympus E410 with 14-42mm Kit Lens, ISO100 - Edited with PhotoLab 3 and Photoshop


Canon Powershot G7 - ISO80, f4.0, 1/500 - Edited with PhotoLab 3, Photoshop, and Luminar 4


The time I spend editing the different images in this article was less than 5 minutes each. Normally I spend more time per image. The fun factor of working with these different editors is huge. One of my next projects will be to take more and exciting skies for Luminar 4. This is probably the most fun aspect of Luminar 4.

Do you need to have all these different editing tools? Anyone of the editors discussed in this article is great and more than enough. If I had to recommend an editor or filter option, my choice would be Luminar 4. WorkSpace combined with Luminar 4 is more than enough and really powerful.

Olympus EM5 with 12mm f2.0 - ISO200, f9.5, 1/500 - (Raw file edited in PhotoLab 3)


Edited in PhotoLab 3, then transferred to Photoshop and sky replacement in Luminar 4


When you study the above image you will see I replaced the sky. Can you see the mistake? This is an important question because the final result should always look realistic... See my Instagram account for more examples. (TIP:- look at the sun)

The images below were all taken in different locations like South Africa, Switzerland, and Sardinian. I used different editing combinations with different editors...

Panasonic LX100 - ISO640, f5.6, 1/60 - Raw file edited with PhotoLab 3


Olympus EM5 II with 14-150mm MKII - f5.6, 1/640 - Raw file edited with PhotoLab 3


Olympus EM5 II with 12-50mm - ISO200, f5, 1/200 - Raw edited with Photoshop and refined in Luminar 4


Olympus EM5 II with 17mm f1.8 - ISO200, f4.5, 1/1000 (ETTR +0.7EV) - Raw edited with PS and Luminar 4


Oly E-620 with 18-180mm - ISO100, f11, 1/100 - Raw edited with PS, then edited in Luminar 4 (no sky replacement)

No comments:

VideoPic Blog Comments

Please add any comments to this article here.

Most read Articles