Page Menu

Sep 2, 2026

Walking the dog with my Olympus EM-5 II

Last update:- 5th September 2026


Taken with the Olympus EM-1 III and the M.Zuiko 12-45mm pro lens. I converted the RAW+ file in Workspace.


I decided to take my E-M5 II and Leica 25mm f/1.4 lens on a summer afternoon walk with my wife and Milo. It was literally the final minutes prior to the sun setting for a quiet evening. The EM-5 II, with its innovative feature set, continues to be a fascinating mirrorless camera in 2026. The images have a unique natural balance with beautiful colors, and it's one of only a few cameras with a pleasant and soft shutter sound. The posted photos were converted and edited in Workspace, and the frames were added in Affinity. I edited my camera settings, tonal settings, and a mix of Natural, iEnhanced, and Color Creator Picture modes in Workspace. It's great to use a mirrorless camera from 2015 with such an advanced "computational" like feature set. Will it be the final one in my camera bag?

PS. The posted images ended up covering a span of three days.






Forecasted consumer trends, like the declining popularity of compact digital cameras and the demand for hybrid cameras, seem different in 2026. We also see corporate and consumer priorities changing after the introduction of AI, which is impacting the priorities and business forecasts of professional photographers. A used Sony A1 with a low shutter count is currently more popular than the MKII, and the true demand for MFT cameras is not clear because the popularity of used cameras is not reported. One cannot help but wonder if OM System is geared for this fast-changing segment.

Imagine the savings potential when using a mirrorless camera from 2015 with modern features such as connectivity to OM Capture, Pen F and OM-3 color profiles via Workspace, 40MP high-res photos, and more. The EM-5 II has proven to be an exciting camera with its high-sensitivity 16 MB Live MOS sensor. Imagine an MFT camera with access to a large range of quality used lenses and no need for expensive PC configurations, overpriced memory cards, and high-capacity memory (servers) in 2026.


Olympus EM-5 II and the 25mm f/1.4 Leica lens. ISO200, f/3.5, 1/8th. This high-res 40MP RAW+ file was converted in Workspace.


While watching a video from James Popsys about colour, and studying the book Lighting & Rendering from Jeremy Birn, I was reminded of just how little I know. I am looking forward to the day our focus shifts from having perfect cameras to using our GOD given talents to be artists and not consumers. I am excited to see a new camera from OM System and wish them only the best...

The photos below are a selection of enhanced raw files converted and edited in Workspace, plus HDR versions of the EM-5 II raw files created in Affinity. I added the frames in Affinity.
















This is one of my EM-5 II plus 25mm f/1.4 Leica lens photos I took the day after. I used the Color Creator in Workspace.


This is a more "natural" EM5 II - HDR version of the converted RAW file in Affinity Photo 2.





Another EM-5 II HDR raw conversion in Affinity Photo 2.





I used the HDR function of Affinity to convert this EM-5 II RAW+ file. Affinity made HDR photography fun again...

No comments:

Post a Comment